The technologically advanced modern society makes everything easier for man. Along with the developments, there are certain issues that it possesses. Healthcare is also a sector that embraces technological advancements. But what if this technology is making man more prone to diseases and health conditions? With technological advancements come many lifestyle diseases and other conditions. Modern man is likely to be the victim of many conditions that could turn their life up and down. The following article diseases some of the diseases and health conditions developing as a result of the excessive use of technology and its over-dependence in life.
Technology V/S Health: The Growing dilemma
We can’t imagine a life without mobiles and computers. These things have become an integral part of human life. But with this dependency comes many health problems too. A survey conducted among youngsters shows that more than sixty per cent of the youth is experiencing severe body and muscle aches and are suffering from other conditions and the cause for all of these is the excessive use of mobile phones and computers.
The following are some of the problems created by the excessive use of these technologies;
1. Dry eye and Diplopia: As expected, our eyes are the organs that are more prone to this danger. The overuse of smartphones results in eye conditions like dry eyes and diplopia. Dry eyes occur when your eye glands fail to produce enough tears to lubricate your eyes. It also occurs when poor-quality tears are produced. When we use computers or phones more than a limit, the number of our eye blinks decreases which result in the evaporation of tears This is dry eye condition and its cause. So all those binge watchers out there, spare some time for your eyes and health.
Diplopia is a medical condition in which the eyes see everything as two. It is also called double vision. Diplopia is normally a temporary condition but it can be an indication of other major health issues. So nothing must go unnoticed.
2. Impaired emotional and social intelligence: As we spend more time on screen, we are less spending time with people. This creates in us a negative effect which results in the impairment of emotional and social intelligence. Don’t risk your offline life for your temporary online relations.
3. Text Neck: The text neck is the severe pain felt in the neck because of the excessive use of mobile phones and computers. The different postures of the neck which we assume while using mobile phones and laptops put great strain on necks which creates intense neck pain and aches.
4. Intense headaches: Our brain suffers from intense strain as we continue to look at our mobile phones. The blue rays from phones and laptops are very much dangerous to both our eyes and brain. Overexposure to blue ray radiation can cause many health conditions and diseases. The eye conditions that generate because of the overuse of phones and other devices are mainly due to the blue ray radiation from them.
5. Losing body balance: As we spend more time on mobile phones and laptops, the less our body works and our body stiffens due to the lack of movement. So when we suddenly stand up or do some activities, our body loses balance. Without any considerable body movements or work, our body becomes very weak and will gradually succumb to many diseases.
6. Low memory: Our memory is very much affected by technology. Our memory capacity will lower as we spend more time in front of the screen. It affects our ability to think and gradually results in memory capacity.
7. Memory loss/ Amnesia: In extreme cases, short-term Amnesia is the result of the overuse of smartphones and laptops. This amnesia is termed ‘digital amnesia’ a byproduct of the technologically advanced global world. Studies conducted among mobile users show that majority of the people can’t remember their mobile numbers and in some cases, when people have separated from their mobile phones, they forget everything, their name, number, family and things that they were doing. Such is the effect of the overuse of smartphones and computers.
8. Hearing impairment: Earphones and headphones are some commonly used hearing devices. We can find at least one person with headphones or ear sets in every public place. The overuse of these devices can lead to severe hearing impairment. When we hear a sound more than the desired decibel could lead to many ear infections too.
The above are only some of the many diseases and conditions that are raised due to the excessive use of technology. Using technology is a must needed thing in our life. And some people can’t avoid it. But always keep this in mind, never overuse it. You can’t take health for granted. It comes with a price too. What is the use of money if you don’t have the health to enjoy it? Give some rest to the binge-watcher inside you and prioritize your health first.